The Board of Adjustment is an independent, quasi-judicial agency of the Legislative Branch of the State of Alabama. It was established by §41-9-60, Code of Alabama, 1975, to provide for the adjustment of claims against the State of Alabama or any of its agencies, commissions, boards, institutions or departments to persons for injuries, damages to property, death or payments due on contract.

The Board considers claims for damages done to persons or property by the State of Alabama or its agencies, when no remedy is available in the courts of the State due to the State’s sovereign immunity. The Board is charged to order payment of a monetary award if it determines that in law, justice or good morals, it is due to be paid.

The State Board of Adjustment also considers claims for benefits to the dependents of peace officers or firemen who have died under the circumstances specified by law and disability benefits for volunteer firefighters disabled as the result of injuries received in the performance of their firefighting duties.

John Montgomery, Chief Legal Counsel 

Alabama State Board of Adjustment
Alabama State Capitol
600 Dexter Avenue, Suite E-302
Montgomery, AL 36104
Ph (334) 242-7175   Fax (334) 242-2008

Jim Zeigler
, State Auditor
600 Dexter Avenue, Room S-101
Montgomery, AL 36104
Ph (334) 242-7010

John Merrill, Secretary of State
P.O. Box 5616
Montgomery, AL 36130-5616
Ph (334) 242-7200

Young Boozer, State Treasurer
600 Dexter Avenue, Room S-106
Montgomery, AL 36104
Ph (334) 242-7501

Bill Poole, Director of Finance
600 Dexter Avenue, Room N-200
Montgomery, AL 36104
Ph (334) 242-7160

2022 Calendar of Meetings

Please note, dates for meetings are subject to change.

Hearing Sessions are scheduled for January 11, 12, 13, 19 and 20 at 9:00 a.m.
The Voting Session for the January hearings is scheduled for February 16 at 10:00 a.m.

The location for hearing and voting sessions is the Alabama State Capitol, 600 Dexter Avenue, Suite E-317, Montgomery, AL 36104.

The forms listed below include detailed instructions for filing your claim. Please read the instructions completely, as they provide information regarding information needed on the forms, as well as supporting documentation that must be included.

Failure to properly complete the form and provide documentation will delay your claim.

All forms can be completed online, but they cannot be submitted online. Please print your completed form or save it to your computer and submit by one of the following methods:

By MAIL to:

By FAX to:

By Email to:

Board of Adjustment
Alabama State Capitol
600 Dexter Avenue, Suite E-302
Montgomery, Alabama 36104

(334) 242-2008



Pursuant to Act 2017-393, claims filed against the Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT), not exceeding $5,000 are to be submitted to the ALDOT Deputy Director of Administration, 1409 Coliseum Blvd., Montgomery, AL 36110, using ALDOT’s prescribed forms.

Please contact ALDOT at or Ph (334) 242-6317 with any questions or visit their website here.


The jurisdiction of the Board is limited to claims which are not within the jurisdiction of a Court. You should consult with a lawyer to determine if your claim is appropriate for the Board of Adjustment or if it should be filed in a Court of law.

If you have provided goods or services to the State of Alabama or any of its agencies, commissions, etc., you are entitled to payment in accordance with Alabama law. If a state agency fails or refuses payment, you may file a claim with the Board of Adjustment.

A claim must be filed within the one year allowed from the date the account should have been paid under the terms of the transaction. If the claim is not filed with the Board of Adjustment within the time permitted, the Board is legally prohibited from considering it. The state agency cannot waive the Board’s statute of limitations; the statute of limitations is an absolute bar to a claim, as set out in Section 41-9-65(a).


A: Wrongful death claims must be presented within two years of the death.
All other claims must be presented within one year of the cause of action.

A: A lawyer is not required to file a claim.
Being represented by a lawyer, or not, is a personal decision.

Each form has detailed instructions included and an address for submitting the claim is listed on the forms.

A: Yes. The Board’s fax number and email address are listed above under
FORMS AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILING A CLAIM along with the physical address.

A: The Board will send a letter of receipt for the claim.
This letter will include a claim number that has been assigned to your claim.
This number will be needed for any future communications about your claim.

A: If your claim was returned as unacceptable, there will be a checklist included,
detailing the portion(s) of your claim that were deficient.
It may be a portion of the form that is incomplete or required documentation that was not included.
Please read the checklist completely as there may be more than one deficiency.

A: Your claim is forwarded to the agency against which it was filed.
They have 30 days from the day they receive it to investigate the claim.
During this time, they may contact you directly seeking additional
information. Once they make a determination, a notice will be sent to you
and a copy to the Board.

The agency may:

  • Consent to pay the claim in its entirety. If so, the final decision
    will be made by the Board at the next available quarterly voting
  • Consent to pay a portion of the claim. If so, you will be asked
    to accept the offer. If you do, the final decision will be made by the
    Board at the next available quarterly voting session. If you decline
    the offer, your claim will be scheduled for a hearing before the Board.
  • Deny the claim. If so, the claim will be scheduled for the next
    available quarterly hearing session.

A: If the Board determines an award is appropriate, an Order to Pay will be sent to the
agency against which your claim is filed and a copy will be sent to you. Once the Board orders
the payment, your file is closed, and communications regarding the timing of the payment will be
with the agency. The Order copy you receive will include the contact information for your convenience.

A: This information can be changed at any time by providing your changes in writing to both the
Board of Adjustment and the agency against which you filed the claim.
Please reference your claim number on all such requests.